Monday, October 20, 2014

Vestibulitis / Vulvodynia / BOTOX - I AM PAIN FREE

In my last post, back in April 2014, I wasn't 100% pain free. The BOTOX injections I received in 2011 seemed to help significantly but I was still considering having another round of BOTOX injections. However, my doctor, Anuja Vyas, M.D., recommended I try a compounded estradiol cream in the meantime while I considered doing more injections. I started using the cream in July 2014. She also put me back on gabapentin 600mg three times per day.  To my surprise, I am now 100% pain free. It is gone. Finally. 

I will continue to use the cream and get the exact ingredients from my doctor so I can post them here. The prescription as it it is written on the compounded bottle is: 
        •  30.0 MI E2 0.5 MG/E3 1MG/ML 
        • Apply 1/2 ML to  entry of the vagina every day

I started this journey with Dr Vyas in 2010 with surgery. Prior to the surgery we tried tricyclic antidepressants, gabapentin, and creams. In 2011 I received steroid injections, pudendal nerve blocks, gabapentin, and creams which did not work. Finally, after begging my doctor I received BOTOX injections in late 2011. My pain seemed to decrease by about 90% in 24 hours. In the next couple years it seemed like the pain was creeping back up - I thought maybe the BOTOX was wearing off. 

In 2014 I tried the specially compounded estradiol cream (which I had also tried to no effect in its commercial form, Estrace, before the BOTOX in 2011) and oral gabapentin; now I am completely pain free. 

I hope this is the end of my journey with vulvodynia. I am so grateful to have found such a great doctor who was willing to work with me and try novel approaches in treating the pain. It was truly a collaboration of hearts and minds. There were some really difficult moments when I lost hope and even my doctor cried along with me, but look where I am now... She told me that I would get married and that I would have children-- and that she would be there for both these life events. I am so thankful that I didn't give up-- I am so thankful that I had Dr Vyas to remind me of all that I want in life with regard to marriage and a family and to carry some of my emotional pain when I was unable to carry it by myself. If you are reading this it is because you do not want to give up. And you should not give up-- there is always hope-- always a new treatment to try. Keep on, keep on.
 
Here is more information about how to contact my doctor at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What else did she put you on? What are the results? How do I read the whole post?

vedikasharma1100 said...

Botox is basically a drug that is produced by the bacterium called botulinum toxin which is a neurotoxin in nature. It has certain medical and cosmetic uses. Medically it is used to treat some muscle generated problems and cosmetically it is used to remove wrinkles on the skin by paralyzing the muscles temporarily.