Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This is all so expensive- not just the hospital and surgeon's fees, but all the things I must buy in addition like the sitz baths, the pads, the ice packs, etc etc. I am fortunate to be able to afford it and I feel for those who cannot afford it at all.

I've made a list of questions to ask my doctor on the day of the surgery. I hope I don't feel rushed before they take me in. I assume my doctor will come talk to me before they take me to the OR?

So far my list of questions is as follows:
--when/how to shower?
--what to do when I get my period
--when on bedrest, can I lay on my side?
--what if I have 'breakthrough' pain?
--can I have doctor's pager number/email?
--when do I follow-up?
--when can I sit and for how long?
--when can I walk and for how long should I walk?
--do I need prophylactic antibiotics?
--can I have a painkiller that is stronger than vicodin-- like percocet

Just something else I've noticed- all of Drs Goldsteins' patients gush about them and how perfect and wonderful their experience was. Just thinking statistically that all his patients can't have had perfect results but we don't hear them on these boards...

I trust that my doctor is thoroughly educated by the most up to date research literature, but I will talk to her about full vs. partial and see what she has to say. I feel like I have so many questions to ask on surgery day.

Oh, one more thing-- how long did the actual surgery take? My doctor said it will take about 2 hours.

No comments: