Monday, May 9, 2011

Second set of steroid injections

I had my second set of Kenalog steroid injections yesterday. Ouch again! My doctor is going to order smaller needles (I think she used 26 gauge but I told her I want 30 gauge). The swelling and soreness isn't nearly as bad as it was last week. It's actually not bad at all. Also late last week I noticed a big improvement in my pain. I still had pain when she did the Q-tip test yesterday (Monday) but I think it is getting better. It's really only bad when she applies more pressure than the Q-tip touch to the area and only in some specific spots. She says I am one of the worst cases she has seen (and she sees a lot), but I am hopeful that I'm getting better. My doctor decided to put me on desipramine (a TCA) just to help my mood. She started me at a really low dose. I'm still taking 900mg of gabapentin each day.

When we are done with the series of steroid injections I'm going to try acupuncture. It's been shown that it can help with neuropathic pain.

What I'm really frustrated with is how this has interfered with my dating life and relationships. I think I would be married by now if not for this condition. Sometimes I think those who only discovered this condition after they were married are luckier in that they have in built support system. But I guess they also have a lot more to lose if their spouse isn't supportive, or gets frustrated and loses support. One of the main problems I've encountered in relationships is men thinking they are entitled to other sexual things because we can't have vaginal sex. It is the attitude of entitlement that makes me not want to give it to them-- if they were supportive and loving then my reaction to their reaction would be different. It's, of course, a really complicated dynamic and there is no way I can give it justice here so these are just surface thoughts. I've also found that they grow angry at you and blame you if they get aroused etc. It makes me not want to be part of any affection because a lot of guys have this mentality that affection ---> sex.

No comments: