Monday, May 23, 2011

Steroid injections, third round and some complaints

Today was my third round of steroid shots. I had 3 shots in total. We used the 30 gauge needles and I felt that they made a HUGE difference in the amount of pain I experienced during the actual needle-sticks. I think the previous needles were 26 gauge.  It also helped that she sprayed the area with "hurricane spray", which is benzocaine, but I am unsure of the concentration. It really burns for about 30 seconds and then the area feels numb. She also put 2% topical lidocaine on the area before injecting. We are going to do 2 more rounds of injections over the next month.

My doctor says I have pain basically down the left labia and into the right labia-- from 2 o'clock to 9 o'clock. I don't know how effective the last round of injections were because for the first week afterward I was too bruised and sore to use the dilator and by the second week I was so depressed and feeling like I wanted to quit treatment that I only tried the dilator once. When I did, I felt OK-- there was some pain, particularly at the 7 o'clock position. I think it is progressively hurting less, but I'm not sure. Even though I want to quit treatment I keep on because I realize the quitting part is just the depression that comes with the territory.

I know I previously wrote that my doctor never makes me feel rushed-- and that is true, she doesn't-- but I always feel rushed because I know I'm overbooked on her schedule (and it is only a 15-minute appointment, to boot) and because I can hear her in the hallway going from patient to patient. It's not her fault that they only book for 15-minute appointments or that I there are overbooked pts.


One thing that bothers me is that I find it difficult to have a substantive conversation about my concerns or questions when I am undressed. Being more assertive about this and asking the questions I want to ask would make me feel like I'm asking for too much.


The doctor-patient relationship is inherently delicate and perhaps even more in this case because it's not as if I could easily find another doctor, especially one who I like as much as my current one, who is knowledgeable and capable with regard to treating vestibulitis. There is a strong motivation to not risk rocking the boat here that puts the patient in a further position of weakness.

No comments: